Thursday, February 25, 2010

Walk Out #1

My little students are so cute. About a month ago, I taught them about revolution and when it is appropriate to revolt. Well--the little ones are taking it to heart.

At 8:30 we had a walk out. They are mad because extra-curricular activities are being cut and because they are mad about their class sizes increasing and the quality of education decreasing. I had about 1/3 of my class walk out. Of course, I had heard about it--but I forgot and I was so confused when they started leaving...and coming back when they were to scared to get suspended. Haha--oh those kids. They are now trying to organize revolution #2 at 10:30. We'll see how that goes.

Here are some articles about what is happening to our $30 million in deficit district.

ksl.com - Education equalization bill fails in committee

ksl.com - How would a tax hike for Jordan schools affect residents?

Check it out.

3 comments:

Simonds Family said...

lol. I remember kids always starting petitions and planning to stay home and walkouts etc. Oh the times.
I've heard a bit about this on the radio and news. Poor Jordan. Johann's working for Canyon right now and always gets this guilty look on his face whenever he hears whats going on in Jordan district. I hope they can figure something out. Soon.

Justin and Coralie said...

That's awesome and a bit hilarious. Have fun with your walk-outs today :)

Maren said...

I saw an article about this on (I think it was) the SL Tribune and I thought hey! Amber's class was involved in that! so I read it. Way to foster grassroots political involvement.