Thursday, October 30, 2008

Prop 8 and Wicked?

So I just logged on to to make phone calls to California from my computer. I logged on and my sound was muted. Since there was a training course first I figured I should turn on my volume. I was amazed to find out that Gravity from Wicked was playing. I told my roommates excitedly (and wondering why in the world this was happening) that they played music from Wicked while the training session loaded. Well the training started and the music didn't stop...apparently my blog was open in the background and I have Wicked on it. Hmmm...who would've known? hahahha--but, seriously, how great would it have been if played pump up music from Wicked in the background?

Saturday, October 25, 2008

It's Official--DC Here I Come

That's right. I'm not happy with the presidential picks, so I'm going to do something about it. Ok, that's a lie. Well, sort of. I'm moving to DC to do my student teaching. I will be doing it at one of two schools: Woodrow Wilson High School (click here) or Duke Ellington School of the Arts (click here). Crazy, huh. I'm really excited to go, but it is kind of bittersweet. I am really excited for a new experience, but I am sad that it is my last semester of college and that it won't be spent at BYU. I'll leave for DC from home after Christmas break and fly back to Provo for graduation in mid-April. I'll probably get a job in the area and then get my Master's in Educational Administration in a year or two. CRAZY!!!

Friday, October 10, 2008

Vote Yes on Proposition 8!

I am voting Yes on Proposition 8. That is right. For once, I am excited to vote in California. My presidential vote might not matter, but this one will. This is an important election. So much will be impacted--the economic crisis, the war in Iraq, taxes, insurance. Honestly, if forced to do so, I can handle increased taxes. The repercussions of ending the war early could be devastating, but we would hope the Iraqi people are ready to govern themselves. Times of crisis will recover. However, changing the definition of marriage to include same gender marriage, that will influence the world. It really will.

Elder Ballard, a leader of the LDS church said, "the all-important question of public policy must be: what environment is best for the child and for the rising generation? Traditional marriage provides a solid and well-established social identity to children. It increases the likelihood that they will be able to form a clear gender identity, with sexuality closely linked to both love and procreation. By contrast, the legalization of same-sex marriage likely will erode the social identity, gender development, and moral character of children. "

The Family: A Proclamation to the World says, “We call upon responsible citizens and officers of government everywhere to promote those measures designed to maintain and strengthen the family as the fundamental unit of society.” I'm voting for Proposition 8. Are you?

Learn more at:

Friday, October 3, 2008

Funny things happen at the HBLL

Picture this, if you will.

Setting: NoShhh Zone. Thursday. 5 PM. Circular (Ovalcular?) table. Six computers. Six strangers.

Occurance: Everything was typical in the NoShh. People frantically printing off papers at the printing stations. Facebook pulled up on 75% of the computers, gmail on the other 25%. People fast asleep on the soft chairs by the window, while individuals at the group work tables are flirting with a hopeful eternal companion. Back to my own world, I was working on statistics when the guy next to me just started laughing. LAUGHING. Alone. Just laughing away. All of us at the computer looked at each other awkwardly while trying to hide our grins. He didn't stop. We struggled to contain our smiles and covered the bottom half of our faces with anything avaliable--hands, notebooks, paper. Neighboring tables began to look. They started to smile. The guy kept laughing. Louder and louder it got.

Then it happened. The girl next to me laughed outloud. It was contaigious. We all started laughing. We hid behind our computers, not to embarrass the laughing guy. Another stranger down the table had veins popping out of his head because he was trying to suppress his laughter so fervently. As we tried to suppress our laughter, the guys laugh got louder and louder. He kept looking at his computer, never allowing his eyes to leave the screen.

He was laughing so hard and everyone--EVERYONE--looked. I looked at him to see if he noticed us. He didn't. Belly laughs came out from the guy...tears rolled down his face.

And then. He wiped the tears from his face, put his glasses back on, and...continued typing. The end. No, "hey, this is really funny" or "sorry, funny article." Nope, nothing. He just wiped his tears and kept on typing.

It was seriously the funniest time of my life. No exaggerations.