Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Germany: Day 3

 On our third day in Germany, we visited Bosh. The boys in charge of taking us around the shop gave a presentation on education and apprenticeships in Germany and then had this little creation station set up for us in the factory. 
 Basically, we used Bosh power tools to create little smiley things. Cute, I know. Personally, I don't think that the German government is being that savvy paying for thousands of kids to complete apprenticeships at private corporations for 2 years before high school graduation...but that's just me. 
 Our master apprenticeship teachers who taught us purely in English (that really is amazing). 
 Sarah presenting a gift to the CEO of the Bosh Foundation after an extremely fancy lunch at the headquarters in Stuttgart. 
 An outlook over the city.
 TOP 5 Group photo at Bosh
 Our trusty (is that a word?) tour guides, Stephan and Valim. Bless their hearts. Stephan was a hoot. Valim was great too, I just couldn't understand him most of the time. 
 Sarah and I attempting to be unruly-haired-Peter 
 The guys
 The Bosh Mansion
 Somehow, the US South made it here?!? Whatttttt?
 Stephan being hilarious showing us to our "hotel." He made us all wheel our luggage to this building before walking us around a wall of a city probably 1/2 of a mile to our real hotel. He's a hoot. 
 My luggage never fails to attract attention! Thanks! 
 Eating at my FAVORITE restaurant of the entire trip. Some Italian place in Norlingden. I just loved it. Sigh. MUST. STOP.EATING. 
 Frank, Ryan, Jeff, and Diane 
 When I seriously thought I was going to explode, Stephan insisted that I had to try his favorite pasta. I told him I couldn't. He insisted. Eventually, they delivered us all this "pasta." I always felt like Stephan took extra care of me. Since I didn't drink, he would always point out the chocolate shops and order me extra dessert. Sigh. I seriously thought I would pop. Ok, back to the pasta...
 It was ICE CREAM PASTA!!!
This little city is walled in. The houses are either original or renovated according to how they were in the middle ages. It really was super cute. 

Here is what Wikipedia thinks about this cute little place:
Nördlingen is a town in the Donau-Ries district, in BavariaGermany, with a population approximately 19,000. It was first mentioned in recorded history in 898 and in 1998 the town celebrated its 1100th Anniversary year . The town was also the place of two battles during the Thirty Years' War,a war which took place between 1618-1648. Today it is one of only three towns in Germany that still has a completely established city wall, the other two being Rothenburg ob der Tauber and Dinkelsbühl.

No comments: