Wednesday, June 8, 2011

June: Week 1


My second year of teaching is up and I seriously can't believe it. Here is a preview of the last few days...
I really, really loved this year. I fell in love with my students (as a collective whole, not individually, don't you worry). I'll miss the girls coming in to chat with me next year and all the "interesting" conversations we shared.
We made a quote wall. Here's an explanation of the few of them from an earlier post:

I made them say the contries names over and over as I pointed to them. Then one of my students said, "I'm going on strike!" jokingly. I slipped back, "I'll strike you!" Whoops. It was hilarious.

Then, I pointed to Moldova and pulled the whole SNL teacher skit. "What country is this? Mmmmmmoooo...." They yelled, Macedonia, Montenegro, Montague!" I replied, "Montague?! This is not Romeo and Juliet..."

Haha ok. Moving on.

I asked, "Raise your hand if enjoy learning about the Holocaust." Well I raised my hand to model that I wanted them to raise their hands, but apparently it was a little firm because the girl in the front row said, "Do you enjoy learning about the Holocaust, Miss Anderson?" I looked at them confused. Then about 7 of them "mirrored" my out stretched arm. So basically, I suddenly saw all these "Heil Hitler" responses coming from my students and then recognized that I myself had been doing the Nazi salute. Another student said, "She does have blonde hair and blue eyes." I replied, "Actually, they are green, but you have blonde hair and blue eyes. Hmmmm..." haha. Whoops.


Here are a few teachers from my school. Every year, 9th grade students go to our local amusement park, Lagoon. Well, some teachers are needed to "chaperone" them. This is what happens. We all ditch the kids at the door when they have to stand in line for tickets and we hang out for a few hours until we meet them back on the bus. It's great :) Here are the teachers of my school (Poore, Nielsen, me, Blank, Terkhorn, Terkhorn's sister, and Briggs. Unfortunately, Baily is semi-cut out. I'll blame that on the photographer. If you only knew...
This is a picture of my hand. Why do I have a huge cut? Why, let me tell you.

Setting: Last day of school, only about 15 9th graders showed up, in a classroom, with the desks pushed up against the wall.
Story: So this teacher was jokingly trying to tackle one of my favorite female students. Apparently she had done it before and she was going for round 2. Well I decided to help this student in need by trying to pull Harward off of her. Harward turned and tried to tackle me (please note that I was also eating Doritos. And yes, I realize that I should have been in my own room chaperoning during this time...). Well, Harward is larger (and apparently more powerful) than I am. She tackled me to the floor, straddled me, pinned down my arms and pretended like I was a human typewriter. So imagine tap, tap, tap, tap (on my chest), slap (my face), tap, tap, tap, tap (on my chest), slap (my face), tap, tap, tap, tap (on my chest), slap (my face). Also remember, there are like 15 students watching and my mouth is full of Doritos. Somehow, her wedding ring sliced open my hand.

I dramatically and jokingly insisted that I was going to go tell the principal. I rushed up to the office and the principal filled out a "Notice of Suspension" form and checked the physical assault box which I later dramatically hand delivered to her. It was funny.

Why do I have this picture, well I took a picture of it and sent it to her the other day "just thinking of you..." Oh man...
I decided to have a rebellious streak (or 5). Kind of fun... I love Katchie (she's my hair stylist).
My good friend Ann gave me tickets to see Ellipse. Her husband is in the band and she is just so generous to always think to invite me. I love going. Cynthia from work came with me (though she refused to be photographed). It was such a fun night and so nice to finally be outside.
Here is the cute math teacher turned stay at home mom. I miss her across the wall (coincidentally, her class room is the room I was turned into a human type writer. I was abused much less when she was in that room)
Here is her adorable little guy! One of the most precious, happy children I've ever seen! Thanks again Ann!
Well, I don't really know how to flip this sideways, but I made this. My best friend, Coralie, invited me to this little temple picture frame project. We made these!! It's huge. Please observe my toes and how small they are in comparison to my huge temple picture. Cool, huh?
On a less relevant note, I saw this homeless person. I know, I shouldn't have taken a picture. He might not have even been homeless. He was holding a sign across the street and he has 2 dogs. Most importantly, he was wearing a HUGE stuffed (pretend, I presume) dog head on top of his head which made hip appear like 7 1/2 feet tall! Crazy. I will now go wash my car windshield...

2 comments:

ann said...

On School: You made me feel so nostalgic just now. Good, good memories. :) I'm sorry you have become a human typewriter. Though it sounds like my room is occupied by someone with great character!

On Our Date: So glad you came to the concert. Let's do it again, soon.

The End.

Linze Kate said...

SO good to see you the other day, girl! Let's really catch-up soon.
*muah*

P.S. Congrats on completing the year of teaching! Way awesome!