Wednesday, May 18, 2011

In the Life of a 9th Grade Teacher

This is pretty much how my 4th period went today:

Starter question:
Create a mnemonic device for the European countries that border Russia (Estonia, Latvia,Belarus, Ukraine, Romania, Bulgaria, Turkey).

They came up with the mnemonic "I'll-stone-ya Later by-the-roof (in the) Cranium If-you-remain Bulgarizing Turkey's." (Estonia, Latvia,Belarus, Ukraine, Romania, Bulgaria, Turkey)

I made them say the contries names over and over as I pointed to them. Then one of my students said, "I'm going on strike!" jokingly. I slipped back, "I'll strike you!" Whoops. It was hilarious.

Then, I pointed to Moldova and pulled the whole SNL teacher skit. "What country is this? Mmmmmmoooo...." They yelled, Macedonia, Montenegro, Montague!" I replied, "Montague?! This is not Romeo and Juliet..."

Haha ok. Moving on.

I asked, "Raise your hand if enjoy learning about the Holocaust." Well I raised my hand to model that I wanted them to raise their hands, but apparently it was a little firm because the girl in the front row said, "Do you enjoy learning about the Holocaust, Miss Anderson?" I looked at them confused. Then about 7 of them "mirrored" my out stretched arm. So basically, I suddenly saw all these "Heil Hitler" responses coming from my students and then recognized that I myself had been doing the Nazi salute. Another student said, "She does have blonde hair and blue eyes." I replied, "Actually, they are green, but you have blonde hair and blue eyes. Hmmmm..." haha. Whoops.

Only 10 more wake-ups. Can't believe it.

2 comments:

Britt said...

hahahahaha. they are so lucky to have you as a teacher!

Mari Kjar said...

haha you are great!! we were in utah for josh's parents mission farewell and i wanted to call you. it was a too crazy whirlwind trip. next trip. allllso, are you open to being set up? maybe i should write this in a private message, but my cousin... he likes off roading and jeeping, etc. how do you feel about that? text me! :)