Thursday, March 10, 2011

Books...

Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it. ~P.J. O'Rourke

The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them. ~Mark Twain

I just got back from book club and feel inspired. Can you tell. I've read these books and need some new suggestions. Leave me some comments with your favorites. Summer is near!

To Destroy You is No Loss
The Alchimest
Flags of Our Fathers

Brave New World
Poisonwood Bible
Huckleberry Finn
Heart of Darkness
Warriors Don't Cry
Long Walk to Freedom
The Boy in Striped Pajamas
The Help
Mr. Pip
Tale of Two Cites
Shanghi Girls
Outsiders
Hunger Games
Billy Budd
Beruit to Jerusalem
Lincoln in Pictures
John Adams
Jane Eyre
Scarlett Letter
The Power of One
Wuthering Heights
Frankenstein
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
Ms. Dalloway
The Hours
Left to Tell
Gurnesy Literary Society
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern
Catcher in the Rye
Lord of the Flies
Harry Potters
Animal Farm
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Book of Mormon
The New Testament
The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
The Declaration of Indepedence: A Written History
Things Fall Apart
A Prayer for Owen Meany
The Tipping Point
Freakanomics
As I Lay Dying
Lemon Tart
Spare Change
The Professor and the Madman
King Lear
Julius Caesar
Jacob Have I loved
The Screwtape Letters
The Outsiders
Distant Waters
To Draw Closer to God
Peak
The Carousel
Chains
Coming of Age in Mississippi
Amusing Ourselves to Death
The Awakening
The Giver
Anne Frank
1984
Room
Twilight
The Infinate Atonement
Speak
Winter Girls

4 comments:

Mike said...

If you liked John Adams, you should read 1776.

Amber Lenora said...

I can't get through it. Maybe I should... Thanks for the suggestion!

Mari Kjar said...

amber!!! i miss you chica! i read your posts about your classes. you are the BEST teacher... you relate to the kids and love them. you are really touching lives as a teacher, i am sure of it.

about books! i know you've read the infinite atonement, but i just finished "the continous atonement" by brad wilcox. i truly recommend it. it has stories/analogies in it that i will remember and that's so helpful. i really enjoyed it. in the book club i'm in... i missed the last book but everyone loved it so i'm planning on reading it. it's called "these is my words". 2 more. sorry longest comment ever. did you have little women on that list? one of my favs ever. and i read a biography on audrey hepburn last summer that i liked.. i can't remember the name right now, written by her son...but she's a very elegant and good person, it was worth the time. k! hope that is helpful. i'd love to catch up sometime. next time we're in utah? LOVE YA!!!

Amber Lenora said...

OH my gosh! Mari! I would LOVE to see you! Today in church I found a note taht you wrote me 5 years ago when we met. I just adore you. A girl in my book club recommended it. I'll totally have to look into it. I misss you!!!! You're such a perfect mom and you look so happy. I hope ya'll are doing well! Love you! PS I live in SLC so let me know when you're here :)