Sunday, March 20, 2011

Testing day. Please be serious.

So, I gave a test last Wednesday. The neighboring Language Arts teacher was teaching climax by playing Taylor Swift's "Love Story" to teach climax or something. In two of my classes, I found myself trying not to hum along, however, some of my students couldn't help it. It was rather cute.

Well, Friday, at the lunch table, my LA neighbor said SHE would be giving a test. Then, it hit. Payback. Teachers in school wear these microphones around our necks. I thought they were ridiculous at first, but holy cow, it saves me. I don't have to raise my voice, they can hear my emotion (whether joyful or annoyance). The only problem is that I can hear everything my neighbor says and vice versa.

Back to Friday. After marking 124 kids tardy, I covered my mic and whispered to the class that I had a brilliant idea (I'm pretty much an actor--trying to entertain them, right?). I whispered to them that the class would be taking a test and reminded them what happened when we were taking a test. I told them we should play the song back and sing at the top of our lungs. Well, after three groups of kids gave their Asia PowerPoint presentations, I found the lyrics on YouTube and we sang at the top of our lungs. Promptly thereafter, my phone rang. It was my neighbor. I put it on speaker. "Hey, what'd you do with all that money we gave your class for singing lessons?" she said. We laughed and hung up.

Twenty minutes later, right before the bell rings, I hear T. Swift wafting through the poor ventilation of our walls and all these 8th grade voices. Not to be out performed, we put on another Taylor song and belted out the words at the top of our lungs (don't worry, I gave them my mic to help).

It was a very educational day. (haha don't worry, we only wasted a collective 5 minutes...but wow, can that build class morale. It was hilarious and I'm pretty sure I enjoyed it more than they did).

Let me know if you have ideas because I'm pretty sure this will turn into a battle.

No comments: