Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Grandma


Last month, my Grandma Worthen passed away. She went into open heart surgery to have a valve replaced. After the surgery she seemed fine, but then complications arose. She went into a coma and never woke up. It was a very tender time for my family and me. It was so hard to be at school in Utah and unable to be there, to say goodbye, or to comfort family members. When I reached Seattle, it was very hard for me to walk back into my grandparent's home--to see my grandpa alone, and no one snoozing in the blue chair. At the funeral, I offered the opening prayer and our family sang, "I Am a Child of God." I am grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ, for the ability it gives us to be with our families eternally. I know that I am at peace because I know I will see my grandmother again. I know that she is watching over us from above, hoping that we make correct decisions so that we can see each other again. I know that our Heavenly Father loves us and created this plan for us to be happy--now and forever. I know that my grandma knew this. I am so thankful for my Savior and the potential we have to live with our families again.

Memories of Grandma
--"Those Jerks lost again!" In reference to the Seattle Mariners
--Random college care packages with address labels stuck all over everything (like oatmeal packets)
--Shopping trips
--Weekly phone calls
--Sleeping in the blue chair with her scriptures on her lap
--Grandma's Pretzel Salad
--"Amber, we are proud of you!"

I'll miss you grandma!

1 comment:

Mindy said...

Amber, I am sorry to hear about your grandma. My grandma passed away unexpectedly in March, so I know how you are feeling. :( Love yer guts!