Sunday, September 9, 2012

Germany: Day 8

 On our 8th day in Germany, we took a train to Augsburg. It was a little walled in city created during the Middle Ages. I basically just took this picture for my grandma. She's a little obsessed with lambs. I got an evil look when I sat on it during a looonnnggg guided tour.
 Someone important lived here. Now it's pretty much the equivalent of the European version of H&M. Or so I was told...



 This was Martin Luther's home or place of study or something before he nailed the 95 Theses on the door of the church. Or maybe he went into hiding here. If you can read German, feel free to translate this and report back.

Side note: Let this be a note of the importance of journal writing because I surely don't remember the details 1 month later...

 They had large dogs.
 People could pay 88 Euro cents to live in one of these little places for a year under the Catholic church. It's pretty incredible. All they had to do was go to church. They still live there for the same amount--.88 per year.
 We then went to this fabric museum in Augsburg. They wouldn't let us take pictures inside, but we got to watch how fabrics were developed over a certain period of time. I'm pretty sure that this was actually a work camp, but they didn't talk about that. We looked at a map afterwards of the work camps during WWII and saw that there were four located here. Can't pull that wool over 16 teachers eyes... (wool, fabric factory, get it?).
We ate lots of dessert. Well I did. They drank most of their dessert and I ate two servings. I've never had so much chocolate mousse in my life!! I LOVED this little Italian restaurant.

No comments: