Sunday, September 9, 2012

Germany: Day 10

 Our first full day in Berlin was great. I didn't realize how little I knew about the Berlin Wall. On the train ride there, Karin, Elaine, and Diane gave me the quick version (which was longer than I ever learned in any history class. Embarrassing, huh?).
 Ryan, Karen, Lesa, and I went on a little walk when we first arrived and found this bombed out church. The structure partially stood and it stands still as a memorial of the war. Churches of many faiths were major targets during the war.

 These are Holocaust Remembrance Stones. They documented Jewish individuals and were placed outside of where their homes once stood. It included information on where they were taken and where they died. So sad, but a great addition to the city. They truly caused me to remember whenever I walked past one.

 When I was in Germany, anything that screamed "America!" I gravitated to. Turns out, I love our country!

 Holocaust cemetary. It's closed to anyone that is not a family member.
 This building had gun holes still in the walls.

 The gun shell was still stuck in there.
 This is where Kristallnacht began. The synagogue had been reconstructed after the war.
 Classy Karen.

 This is the Brandenburg Gate. I actually didn't know the significance of this gate until the train ride over! Wikipedia explains that, "During the post-war Partition of Germanythe gate was isolated and inaccessible immediately next to the Berlin Wall, and the area around the gate featured most prominently in the media coverage of the opening of the wall in 1989."
That evening we went to a Tapas bar. It wasn't my favorite but I did LOVE this drink. Basically, I got tired of water with gas. It's sick. This was delicious. And pretty.

No comments: