Friday, November 4, 2011

Cafeteria food

So, the other day at lunch (school lunch, students, cafeteria, you remember how that was...) some random kid in front of me typed in his lunch number to discover that he was out of lunch money. He asked if he could debit as the lunch lady stuck out her hand to grab his tray and stuck it under the counter.

I stood there shocked. He asked if he could have a free roll and milk. I told the lady to wait and that I would pay for the kids food. He thanks me by name (which still shocks me that people I've never seen before know who I am) and walks away gratefully to eat. Not a big deal. Right?

Fast forward two days. Some kid, after school, taps me on the shoulder and says, "Miss Anderson." I turn to see a somewhat familiar looking face. He says, "You bought me lunch and I'm here to pay you back." I offered a profound, "huh?" He repeated his statement and after I refused it I finally accepted and the kid left.

What a great kid!! He was just adorable and sincere and I live that there are so many good people in this world.

2 comments:

Simonds Family said...

What a nice story!

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for sharing this!