Sunday, June 6, 2010

The Warrant

Boy do I have a story for you.

I can't remember if I told you this, but when I was reporting an abuse case at school the other day, the detective guy looked into my record and it appears that I had an outstanding warrant for my arrest. EEK. I was a bit shocked (to say the least). I mean, I've never done anything majorly wrong in my life...yet, there was a warrant for my arrest. He said I had an unpaid parking ticket from 2007 (I sent the payment in!!!). At first I was shocked. Then he told me that if I was pulled over, my car would be impounded and I could be sent to jail. Oh good. Hmmmm. I couldn't take care of it for the next few days and every time I would pass a police officer, my heart would race.

Thursday, after school, I went to the Justice Court building and met with a hearings officer. She didn't budge and didn't believe me. Which, I mean, if I have no documentation, it's understandable. I tried to hold back the tears but I think I was just shocked that she treated me as if it was all a lie. I guess I'm not used to what it feels like to have people not believe me (haha lame, I know). Anyways, I had to "post bail" for myself (though I was able to have her reduce it to $317).

I'm glad I was honest, but really? Really? Now the ticket will show up on my record (insurance) and it probably would have never, ever found me because it was from my GA license (which apparently has been suspended for a number of years...whoops) and I've gone through a CA and UT license since then (Not to mention a few more speeding tickets. Don't tell dad).

Haha--so what did I learn from this whole experience?
1. Who would've known I would've been among the first LCHS graduates to have a warrant out for my arrest ;)
2. I was blessed for paying tithing, as $2000 of insurance money also came through that day.
3. This will make a great "2 truths and a lie" in the future.
4. Credibility with my students.
5. It's hard to work full time teaching, EFYing, and go to court all in one week.
6. A sense of humor is a great thing to have...hahahahahha....really? really?

4 comments:

Simonds Family said...

Oh snap! Way to have a sense of humor about it. I think I would have cried. And then fled to Juarez. ;-) That is going to be one good story to have in your book though!

Justin and Coralie said...

Glad it's over! Love you!

Linze Kate said...

CRAZY! It really will make a good "Two Truths and a Lie" though - you'll trump everyone else's statements.
I'm jealous you're doing EFY again! I totally miss it... You're so great with those youth too - they're lucky.

Love ya, girl!
*muah*

Maren said...

Wow Amber! I like your number 3. Good to keep a sense of humor. :) I'm glad you got it worked out...sorry it happened though.