Thursday, November 20, 2008

BYU Petitions Office--This is Amber.

Halloween: The Hairspray Cast

I have spent thousands and thousands of hours at this job. That is right THOUSANDS. Here are a few reasons why I love my job. I have learned:

--How great it is to be surrounded daily by people I love and care for. I have the greatest co-workers, past and present. They do so much for me and are so generous. They really have attributed to my success in college. To show an example of this generosity, one day, I got to work and kicked off my shoes. I promise there was standing water in them. My socks were soaked. About an hour later, Missy came back from lunch and had purchased me a new pair of dress socks. To her, it was no big deal. She handed them to me and said, "Here. I hate when my socks are wet." She bought me socks!! Service. That is how everyone is in the BYU Registrars Office.

--The importance of being professional and on-time.

--That you don't really get to go to class straight out of bed. Work has improved my wardrobe. That is right, we are required to dress business casual. I've been through 3.5 years of college and probably have only worn jeans to class on about ten days (spirit days at work, of course).

--The importance of a sense of humor. Remember the time...
  • Yesterday, I was talking to my coworker when a guy came up to the window. It sounded like he said, "Who are you?" with a slight attitude. I bluntly responded back, "Amber. Who are you?" He replied, "Mike--but I said, how are you." My coworkers were laughing so hard they had to hide in an office. I felt like an idiot and the rest of the conversation was a little awkward (to say the least).
  • Or when visiting Records, Laura, Mike, Bryan, and I were discussing a x-ray Laura received. We were discussing the pouch they lay across your waist to "protect" your posterity. Well Mike asked if it was put there "so your ovaries don't fry like an egg?" Then Mike realized what he said...and it was hilarious.
  • Or the other time when I had my leg propped up on the counter with my plant leg hiked up showing off a bruise and a student walked up and looked really worried...
  • And many, many other times...Feel free to comment with any other awkward moments :)
--Since entering college, I have become much more bold. I attribute this to the nature of the petitions office. I am always telling students and faculty they are "welcome to petition, however, it is extremely unlikely that their petition will be approved." Being the first person the student talks to, usually I offer a lot of counsel and, honestly, come across a lot of really rude people.

When all is said and done, it's a really great job. I've learned so much. I'm really sad to leave such close friends behind as I leave BYU.

4 comments:

Laura Chapman said...

Oh the memories...there are so many I wish I had written them down along the way. I do love the X-ray story though...so funny!! I will miss you SOOOO much when you go to DC.

Maren said...

You're cute. Just so you know, I changed our address to marenandpatrick.blogspot.com so you should update your link! Love ya

Brent and Mary Rose said...

Where has the time gone?! I remember when you first got a job there freshman year! Love you!

Mikey said...

:( don't leave us amby pants. Laura and I were talking the other day about how much we'll miss you...and it's quite a bit. the fried egg comment has to be one of my favorite mems...i'm a retard. but, it provided a great laugh. awww....the good ol' registrars office. ps. i hope you threw those nasty wet socks away. or washed them. the end.