Tuesday, March 18, 2008

President Hinckley's Passing


I found out that President Hinckley died while I was at a gathering Sunday night with some people who are in my BYU ward. Everyone started getting text messages and phone calls within a few minutes from family and friends telling us that our Prophet had died.

The following Friday, I was able to go to his viewing. I was on my way to Brigham City for the weekend and decided to drive by Downtown Salt Lake. I then proceeded to get out of my car...and even get in line. I waited in 16 degree weather for two hours and another 2 hours inside the conference center. It was such a cold, yet special experience. The feeling I felt as I walked through the room to view his body was so unique. I know that he was called of God. I know it. It was a sad, yet sweet experience. I am glad I had the opportunity to go--freezing weather and all.

President Hinckley is the only leader of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints I can remember. He was always so encouraging and so loving, especially to the youth of the Church. From his teachings, I have learned to treat others more kindly, be optimistic, show love more often, appreciate more, and criticize less. I love my Savior. I am grateful for his sacrifice so that we can all return to live with him again. I am excited for President Hinckley and know that he is now reunited with his sweetheart. How great our Heavenly Father's plan is that we can return to live with Him again!

No comments: