Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Gym and Miners

My new fetish (and not a super common one) is to attend the gym. Typically, I come home, take a nap, and then head to the gym (alone--thanks, Kristen). Last Tuesday, was probably one of the greatest trips there. You see--usually we have institute, but it was cancelled for Fall Break at the U. I discovered the most inspirational TV lineup in the world.

Imagine.

Chilean miners being rescued, one by one, AND The Biggest Loser.

Yep. Best show ever. Well, imagine me on the eliptical tears welling up in my eyes as I skip back and forth during the commercials. Usually, I set the timer for 30 minutes and then head out. BUT--the TV just kept getting better. I'd increase it a minute or two, then five more, then five more, and a few more, until I realized that not only had a single miner not been pulled out of that capsule yet, but also no one had been kicked off of The Biggest Loser. My timer hit an hour and I left thinking how excited I was to share the miner rescue story with my students.

The next day, I share the story with my 3rd period (including the story of Miss Anderson crying at the gym because I was so happy). At that point 17 miners had been rescued. The next period, I saved it for the end after all of our student presentations had been given. During the presentations, we kept hearing people "crunch, crunch, crunching" on the roof. We didn't think anything of it. It got loud and we could hear some laughter. We thought the custodians were up there. Then Spanish words were heard and we thought it was coming through the speakers. I turned off my microphone but, alas, no solution. All of a sudden, in the middle of the presenatation we heard LOUD clapping. All of a sudden, it hit! I forgot to pause the live feed of the rescue on my computer.

Blonde moment. You can bet I'll be hearing about that one from my students for a while. We had a GREAT laugh.

2 comments:

Kasey said...

I. LOVE. BIGGEST. LOSER.
with a serious, and ridiculous passion.

Heather said...

That is pretty funny! Way to go Miss Anderson. :)